Friday, May 15, 2009

Saturday Goals

Happy Mom Goal:


Small indulgences can be a great way to take care of ourselves. Some low-cost things I have learned to appreciate are buying a soothing eye or foot gel at the Body Shop (under $10) and buying the occasional lunch (cheaper than supper!). Another idea is going to a fancy cafe or restaurant for the ambiance, but only ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (flavored coffee, iced tea, a soup, etc.)


Happy Kid Goal:

Can your child rescue the beanbag frog without stepping on any of the alligators? This first obstacle course lets her rise--or hop--to the occasion. Set up the game by giving her a bucket of socks or fabric scraps to toss around the room; these are the alligators. Now throw a beanbag into the middle and see if she can get to it, pick it up, and wend her way back, all without disturbing one of the pretend reptiles. For a more advanced challenge, ask her to hop there and back on one foot. When you're done playing, make a game of the clean-up too: challenge her to gather all of the socks before you count to 10.
Variation: Leaping Lily Pads On a carpeted floor, have your toddler hop from one sock to the next, like a frog, to snatch up the beanbag dragonfly.


Happy Husband Goal:



Hate basketball and your main squeeze is addicted to it? Get tickets to a game. Despise musicals? Surprise your sweetie with tickets to a show. Go against the grain, and endure with grace and cheer.



Happy House Goal:




Rescue Your Valances! Drapes are simple enough to take to the dry cleaner (and if they're silk, polished cotton, wool, or lined, that's your only option), but valances and swags mounted on boards are dust magnets — and a pain to clean. While it may be tempting to send them out or have someone come in to freshen them, that's a pricey choice. Instead, try this at-home alternative: a handheld vacuum and a step stool. Climb on up and start by sucking dust from the flat, top surface of the board. (Material catching in the vac? Cover the nozzle with a knee-high.) Next, holding the fabric taut with one hand, get into the folds and pleats. If the fabric still looks drab, revive it with a handheld garment steamer or with a blast of steam from an iron held a few inches away.


Dinner Tonight:



Chicken Roll Ups
submitted by BethAnna Shock


2 pkgs crescent rolls

1-2 pkgs cream cheese softened to room temp

1-2cans canned chicken

2-3 celery stalks chopped

1-2 Green onions chopped (whites & greens)

Onion Powder (optional)

Garlic Powder (optional)

Melted butter (optional)

Family size can cream of chicken soup

In a bowl combine softened cream cheese, canned chicken (desired amount) chopped celery & green onions in a bowl add a dash of each seasonings (optional) mix well. Set aside.

Flatten out crescent rolls on a pan place a spoonful of cream cheese mixture in the middle of the crescent roll. Fold up like a crescent making sure to seal all edges. Brush melted butter over the top (Optional)

Follow baking temp/time for rolls.

In sauce pan combine cream of chicken soup and 1 pkg cream cheese and heat until cream cheese is completely dissolved into soup.Serve rolls with soup poured over the top.

Variations: Easily made vegetarian by substituting chicken with tofu or mushrooms. Use Cream of mushroom soup instead. Also works well with FatFree cream cheese & FF creamed soup. You can leave out the celery & onions for your picky eaters (my children never know whether I make it with or without the veggies) And the soup can be made with milk rather then cream cheese and works just fine- not as rich.



Today's Pep Talk


Would you consider yourself to be a funny-mom? The other day, my good friend was taking pictures of my children in her backyard (she owns a photography business.) It was bright outside, a bit windy, my kids were hungry, tired, and incredibly ornery. We tried and tried to get all three youngsters to look at the camera and smile at the same time, but as most of you could probably predict, it wasn't working out too well. I really wanted these pictures to turn out well since I would be giving them to all the grandmothers for Mother's Day. I was desperate.

Now, I'm about to admit something to you all that you may, or may not find slightly disturbing. But it worked! And in a moment of desperation, I'll do just about anything.

I turned around, bent over, and spanked myself! I squealed as if I didn't know who had done it, and shot a surprised look at my children. Instantly, my kids started laughing, my friend started clicking, and we got some great shots! On the way home, my 3-year-old started laughing in the backseat. I asked what was so funny, to which she responded "Oh my gosh! You are just such a funny mom! I just don't know what to do with you!" Which of course, made me laugh pretty hard myself. In retrospect, I'm glad that's all she thought of it!

Kids say and ask some pretty hilarious things, and I think those things are what keep me going every day. A mom needs a good laugh each day, I think.

This should be no surprise since research studies repeatedly show that laughter is especially good for us - whether is comes from seeing a funny movie, or recalling the funny things our children (or ourselves!) have said or done. I know that being a mom is serious business, but I still think it's important that we mothers don't take ourselves or our circumtances too seriously....

A laugh a day keep the "mean mom" away!



1 comment:

Leslie said...

yumm those chicken rolls are delicious. and yes, that day was tiring, but you spanking yourself made me giggle. you are tooo cute!!!

Welcome Ladies!

This is our Happy Moms Club! If you're here, it's because you want to become a happier wife and mother....something we strive to help you do! Check this blog each week for your daily goals, pep talk and advice(More info on the SIDEBAR.) There are several units of the HMC, but each group is encouraged to have Happy Mom's Happy Hour every other week, complete with non-alcholic drinks and chatting time! Also, once a month you should have Guilty Pleasure Day, which will be a few hours out to lunch or a movie or something, without your kids. That's right, you heard me, KID FREE! So start saving your pennies! Leave a comment to let us know if you would like to be part of our club! It's free to join, all you do is leave a comment and log on each week to get your goals and peptalk. Also, feel free to leave comments with any suggestions, advice, or something to make us giggle a bit!

*Disclaimer*

I do not own many of the pictures posted on The Happy Moms Club Blog. I do not make any money from them or this site.